The OHA developed this webpage to keep members apprised of recent Ministry of Health updates regarding the novel coronavirus, and to highlight relevant resources for members. It is important to note that the health system is well-prepared to respond to this type of issue. As the situation unfolds, officials from the Ministry and public health, including the Chief Medical Officer of Health, remain in close contact with health care providers and partners across the system, including the OHA. This includes daily stakehholder calls to share information, guidance, and address any challenges, should they arise.
Daily Update - November 29, 2020
Ministry of Health | Health System Emergency Management Branch Situation Report #308 COVID-19
***CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE FULL VERSION OF TODAY'S SITUATION REPORT.***
|Area / Région||Case count / Nombre de cas||Change from yesterday / Changement par rapport à hier||Deaths / Décès||Change from yesterday / Changement par rapport à hier|
|Worldwide total / |
|62 270 332||+ 555 912||1 453 524||+ 9 296|
|Canada*||364 810||+ 5 746||11 976||+ 82|
|Ontario**||114 746||+ 1 708||3 648||+ 24|
|Confirmed Cases||Cas confirmés||Data Source / Source des données||Yesterday / Hier||7-day % change /|
% de changement sur 7 jours
|Cumulative Cases||Nombre cumulatif de cas||CCM / SPGCC||114 746||10%|
|Health Sector Worker Cases||Nombre de cas chez les travailleurs du secteur de la santé||CCM / SPGCC||9 307||5%|
|Cumulative Resolved||Nombre cumulatif de cas résolus||CCM / SPGCC||97 319||11%|
|Cumulative Deaths||Nombre cumulatif de décès||CCM / SPGCC||3 648||5%|
|Long-Term Care Home Residents||Nombre de décès de résidents des CSLD || Ontario.ca: Status of COVID-19 cases in LTCH ||||Ontario.ca: État des cas de COVID-19 en FSLD|
|Retirement Home Residents||Nombre de décès de résidents des maisons de retraite || RHRA Dashboard ||||Tableau de bord de l'ORMR|
|Health Sector Workers||Nombre de décès de travailleurs du secteur de la santé||CCM / SPGCC || 15||-6%|
|Acute Care||Soins aigus||Data Source / Source des données||Yesterday / Hier||7-day % change /|
% de changement sur 7 jours
|Confirmed patients hospitalized||Cas confirmés hospitalisés||dBCS / RqL||586 ||21%|
|Cumulative hospitalized health sector workers||Nombre cumulatif de travailleurs du secteur de la santé hospitalisés||CCM / SPGCC||264 ||1%|
|Cumulative health sector workers in ICU||Nombre cumulatifs de travailleurs du secteur de la santé aux soins intensifs||CCM / SPGCC|| 61 ||0%|
| || || || ||7-day average / |
Moyenne de 7 jours
|Current vented patients (includes COVID+)||Patients actuellement branchés à un respirateur (incluent les COVID+)||CCSO / SOSMPC||561 || 595 |
|CRCI Vented||COVID+ sur respirateur||CCSO / SOSMPC||98 || 104 |
Related OHA Communications
Please note that some of the bulletins below are members only. Please sign in to OHA.com/news to view all bulletins.
- November 26, 2020 - Services, Resources, Guidance Bulletin
- November 20, 2020 - Ontario Government Announces Further COVID-19 Restrictions
- November 19, 2020 - Services, Resources, Guidance Bulletin
- November 13, 2020 - Changes to COVID-19 Framework; 2020 Budget Funding Rollout
- November 12, 2020 - Services, Resources, Guidance Bulletin
- November 11, 2020 - COVID-19 Updates (members only)
- November 6, 2020 - Province Tables 2020 Ontario Budget
- November 4, 2020 - 2020 Ontario Budget and New Details re: OHA Member Call
- November 3, 2020 - OHA Seeking Feedback on Ontario's COVID-19 Response Framework
- November 2, 2020 - COVID-19 Updates: Memo on Reimbursement of Hospital COVID-19 Expenses (members only)
- October 30, 2020 - Media Coverage of Financial Pressure on Hospitals
- October 29, 2020 - Services, Resources, Guidance Bulletin
- October 26, 2020 - Ontario Government Invests $116.5 Million to Add 766 More Beds this Winter
- October 23, 2020 - COVID-19 Updates - Long-Term Care Commission Interim Recommendations
- October 22, 2020 - Services, Resources, Guidance Bulletin
- October 22, 2020 - COVID-19 Updates
- October 19, 2020 - COVID-19 Updates - Transcript of OHA Presentation to LTC COVID-19
- October 15, 2020 - Services, Resources, Guidance Bulletin
- October 9, 2020 - COVID-19 Updates
- October 8, 2020 - Government Releases FAQs re: Amendments to Directive #5 (members-only)
- October 8, 2020 - Services, Resources, Guidance Bulletin
- October 7, 2020 - COVID-19 Updates
- October 6, 2020 - Government Announces Amendments to Directive #5 (members only)
- October 1, 2020 - Services, Resources, Guidance Bulletin
- September 25, 2020 - COVID-19 Update Bulletin (Including New Investments for Surgical Backlog)
- September 24, 2020 - Services, Resources, Guidance Bulletin
- September 17, 2020 - Services, Resources, Guidance Bulletin
- September 14, 2020 - HIRF Announcement & OHA Statement on Increase in COVID-19 Cases
- September 10, 2020 - Services, Resources, Guidance
- September 3, 2020 - COVID-19 Updates & Member Call on Hospital Finances (member only)
To access earlier bulletins from January - August 2020, please click here.
OHA members can direct their questions to Melissa Prokopy, Director, Legal, Policy and Professional Issues, at email@example.com or 416-205-1565.
- Resources from the Joint Centre for Bioethics at the University of Toronto are available here. Those pertaining to COVID-19 are listed below.
- Canadian Medical Association: Framework for Ethical Decision Making During the Coronavirus Pandemic
- New England Journal of Medicine:
Emanuel, E. J., Persad, G., Upshur, R., Thome, B., Parker, M., Glickman, A., Zhang, C., Boyle, C., Smith, M., & Phillips, J. P. (2020). Fair Allocation of Scarce Medical Resources in the Time of Covid-19. The New England Journal of Medicine, 382(21), 2049–2055. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMsb2005114
- This article outlines ethical values and guiding principles, which determine six specific recommendations for allocating medical resources in the Covid-19 pandemic: maximize benefits; prioritize health workers; do not allocate on a first-come, first-served basis; be responsive to evidence; recognize research participation; and apply the same principles to all Covid-19 and non–Covid-19 patients.
- The Hastings Center (2020): Responding to Covid-19 as a Regional Public Health Challenge: Preliminary Guidelines for Regional Collaboration Involving Hospitals
- Public Health Ontario (PHO) resources:
- Public Health Ontario (PHO) has updated their site related to COVID-19 testing including an updated list of accepted swab types, including specimen collection and handling. Additional resources from PHO are available to assist hospitals in the triage, screening, patient management, and testing in acute care settings
- Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) resources:
- Latest travel advice
- Information for health professionals (e.g., details on transmission, detection and reporting, infection prevention and control, and treatment)
- Health Canada has released an FAQ document regarding Subsection 56(1) Class Exemption for Patients, Practitioners and Pharmacists Prescribing and Providing Controlled Substances in Canada during the Coronavirus Pandemic.
- Public Resources (View PHO's Public Resources):
System Partner/Hospital Resources & Other Resources
- Canadian Institute for Health Information:
- CorHealth: COVID-19 Resource Centre
- Covid Care Learning: Educational resources have been developed and posted on www.covidcarelearning.ca to assist organizations that are continuing to plan for redeployment to the meet the needs for COVID-19 care. This website was created with the support of the Ontario healthcare and education communities to provide key resources to prepare healthcare professionals who will be treating Ontarians impacted by COVID-19. These resources are intended for anyone in the hospital or long-term care sector, including those involved in the care of COVID-19 and other critically ill patients or residents. Read a previous OHA bulletin for instructions on loggin in.
- COVID-19 Visit Risk tool: This 10-minute quiz was developed by researchers at the National Institute of Ageing, a public policy research centre at Ryerson University in Toronto, and walks you through exactly how risky your planned interactions with friends or loved ones are when it comes to COVID-19.
- Innovative Medicines Canada COVID-19 Resource Centre
- The website will feature the many contributions from members who are testing for COVID-19, discovering new treatments and vaccines, and will also contain a section on drug shortages. It will be updated daily with new and relevant information.
- Intubation Boxes: Klick is offering free intubation boxes, delivered at no cost to hospitals. Click here for more information.
- Long-Term Care COVID-19 Commission: The dedicated resource site features a list of briefings and meetings (with transcripts) and updates to date.
- Michael Garron Hospital: Checklist (sample) for supporting LTC homes (prevention workstreams)
- Ontario College of Family Physicians: Resource Page
- Ontario College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario
- Physician Resource page
- FAQ: Updated regularly to provide advice/guidance on key issues CPSO is hearing about and where joint messaging could be helpful.
- Ontario Community Support Association: New Community Support Program Provides Help for Vulnerable Seniors in Isolation
- Ontario Medical Association:
- Research- related resources: Two recently launched websites allow users to submit their COVID-19 questions to be examined through a network of researchers.
- Rapid Evidence Access Link (REAL), created by an interdisciplinary team of health systems students and professionals, scans credible evidence sources and produces concise notes on a variety of COVID-19 queries. It focuses on operational and tactical questions from individual health service providers and clinicians.
- The COVID-19 Evidence Synthesis Network is comprised of organizations in Ontario's evidence synthesis and knowledge translation community. It provides high-quality, relevant, and timely synthesized research evidence about COVID-19 to inform decision makers as the pandemic continues, with a focus on strategic policy and program questions.
- Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre:
- University Health Network: Click here to access a set of resources developed by UHN featuring tips to ensure inclusion and equity for marginalized community members during COVID-19.
- University of Toronto: University of Toronto Engineering researchers have developed Redeploy, a tool that optimizes and automates the matching of available staff to jobs that need to be filled throughout the hospital.