The OHA developed this webpage to keep members apprised of recent Ministry of Health updates regarding the novel coronavirus, and to highlight relevant resources for members. It is important to note that the health system is well-prepared to respond to this type of issue. As the situation unfolds, officials from the Ministry and public health, including the Chief Medical Officer of Health, remain in close contact with health care providers and partners across the system, including the OHA. This includes daily stakehholder calls to share information, guidance, and address any challenges, should they arise.
Daily Update as of May 16, 2022
Ministry of Health | Health System Emergency Management Branch Situation Report #678 COVID-19
VIEW THE FULL VERSION OF TODAY'S SITUATION REPORT
Area / Région
Case count / Nombre de cas
Change from yesterday / Changement par rapport à hier
Deaths / Décès
Change from yesterday / Changement par rapport à hier
1 287 529
+ 1 061
*Numbers current as of 3 p.m. yesterday. / Chiffres de l'Ontario à jour à 15h hier.
Hospitalizations | Hospitalisations
Yesterday / Hier
7-day % change /
% de changement sur 7 jours
Confirmed Patients Hospitalized | Cas confirmés hospitalisés
COVID-19 in ICU | COVID-19 aux soins intensifs
COVID-19 Related Critical Illness Vented | COVID-19 liée à une maladie grave
Source: Daily Bed Census, Critical Care Services Ontario / Source des données:
Recensement quotidien des lits, Services ontariens des soins aux malades en
Related OHA Communications
Please note that some of the bulletins below are members only. Please sign in to OHA.com/news to view all bulletins.
May 5, 2022 - Services, Resources, Guidance Bulletin
April 22, 2022 - Extension of Chief Medical Officer of Health Directives
April 14, 2022 - Services, Resources, Guidance Bulletin
April 7, 2022 - Services, Resources, Guidance Bulletin
April 1, 2022 - OHA Bulletin: COVID-19 Updates
March 31, 2022 - Services, Resources, Guidance Bulletin
March 30, 2022 - Government Releases Implementation Guidance for Nursing Retention Incentive
March 29, 2022 - Ontario Introduces Legislation to Prepare for Future Health Emergencies
March 25, 2022 - Ontario Revokes More COVID-19 Orders
March 24, 2022 - Services, Resources, Guidance Bulletin
March 23, 2022 - Pandemic-Related Hospital Funding Initiatives, Submissions for Case Study Awareness Session and Risk Forum Registration
March 21, 2022 - Follow-up OHA HHR Workforce Survey (members only)
March 17, 2022 - Services, Resources, Guidance Bulletin
March 10, 2022 - Services, Resources, Guidance Bulletin
March 9, 2022 - Government of Ontario Announces Plan for Lifting Remaining COVID-19 Directives
March 3, 2022 - Services, Resources, Guidance Bulletin
To access earlier bulletins please visit the OHA's Wrap-up page.
OHA members can direct their questions to Melissa Prokopy, Director, Legal, Policy and Professional Issues, at email@example.com or 416-205-1565.
- Patient Transfer Resources:
- Emergency Management Toolkit: Each level of government (federal, provincial, municipal and local) has an important role to play in the preparedness and response to emergencies. A detailed overview of those responsibilities can be found on page 5 of the OHA's Toolkit.
- Resources from the Joint Centre for Bioethics at the University of Toronto are available here.
- Canadian Medical Association: Framework for Ethical Decision Making During the Coronavirus Pandemic
- New England Journal of Medicine:
Emanuel, E. J., Persad, G., Upshur, R., Thome, B., Parker, M., Glickman, A., Zhang, C., Boyle, C., Smith, M., & Phillips, J. P. (2020). Fair Allocation of Scarce Medical Resources in the Time of Covid-19. The New England Journal of Medicine, 382(21), 2049–2055. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMsb2005114
- This article outlines ethical values and guiding principles, which determine six specific recommendations for allocating medical resources in the Covid-19 pandemic: maximize benefits; prioritize health workers; do not allocate on a first-come, first-served basis; be responsive to evidence; recognize research participation; and apply the same principles to all Covid-19 and non–Covid-19 patients.
- The Hastings Center (2020): Responding to Covid-19 as a Regional Public Health Challenge: Preliminary Guidelines for Regional Collaboration Involving Hospitals
- World Health Organization: Ethics and COVID-19
- General Ministry of Health Resources
- Acute care guidance: (MOH guidance documents are available here)
- Long-Term Care:
- Public Health Ontario (PHO) resources: Public Health Ontario (PHO) has updated their site related to COVID-19 testing including an updated list of accepted swab types, including specimen collection and handling. Additional resources from PHO are available to assist hospitals in the triage, screening, patient management, and testing in acute care settings
- Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) resources:
- Latest travel advice
- Information for health professionals (e.g., details on transmission, detection and reporting, infection prevention and control, and treatment)
- Health Canada has released an FAQ document regarding Subsection 56(1) Class Exemption for Patients, Practitioners and Pharmacists Prescribing and Providing Controlled Substances in Canada during the Coronavirus Pandemic.
- Resources for the Public:
- View PHO's Public Resources
- Patient and Visitor signage is available on the Ministry's website (scroll to the bottom of the page)
- COVID-19 Health Literacy Project: This initiative was started by a first-year medical student at Harvard Medical School, and quickly expanded into a national coalition of over 150 medical students representing over 35 institutions and 34 languages. In an effort to help patients from vulnerable communities know when and how to seek care, they created and translated accessible COVID-19 information into different languages. All their materials are reviewed and vetted by faculty members at Harvard Medical School, and are created in collaboration with Harvard Health Publishing.
System Partner/Hospital Resources & Other Resources
- Canadian Institute for Health Information:
- CorHealth: COVID-19 Resource Centre
- Covid Care Learning: Educational resources have been developed and posted on www.covidcarelearning.ca to assist organizations that are continuing to plan for redeployment to the meet the needs for COVID-19 care. This website was created with the support of the Ontario healthcare and education communities to provide key resources to prepare healthcare professionals who will be treating Ontarians impacted by COVID-19. These resources are intended for anyone in the hospital or long-term care sector, including those involved in the care of COVID-19 and other critically ill patients or residents. Read a previous OHA bulletin for instructions on loggin in.
- COVID-19 Visit Risk tool: This 10-minute quiz was developed by researchers at the National Institute of Ageing, a public policy research centre at Ryerson University in Toronto, and walks you through exactly how risky your planned interactions with friends or loved ones are when it comes to COVID-19.
- Innovative Medicines Canada COVID-19 Resource Centre
- The website will feature the many contributions from members who are testing for COVID-19, discovering new treatments and vaccines, and will also contain a section on drug shortages. It will be updated daily with new and relevant information.
- Intubation Boxes: Klick is offering free intubation boxes, delivered at no cost to hospitals. Click here for more information.
- Long-Term Care COVID-19 Commission: The dedicated resource site features a list of briefings and meetings (with transcripts) and updates to date.
- Michael Garron Hospital: Checklist (sample) for supporting LTC homes (prevention workstreams)
- Ontario College of Family Physicians: Resource Page
- Ontario College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario
- Physician Resource page
- FAQ: Updated regularly to provide advice/guidance on key issues CPSO is hearing about and where joint messaging could be helpful.
- Ontario Community Support Association: New Community Support Program Provides Help for Vulnerable Seniors in Isolation
- Ontario Medical Association:
- Research- related resources: Two recently launched websites allow users to submit their COVID-19 questions to be examined through a network of researchers.
- Rapid Evidence Access Link (REAL), created by an interdisciplinary team of health systems students and professionals, scans credible evidence sources and produces concise notes on a variety of COVID-19 queries. It focuses on operational and tactical questions from individual health service providers and clinicians.
- The COVID-19 Evidence Synthesis Network is comprised of organizations in Ontario's evidence synthesis and knowledge translation community. It provides high-quality, relevant, and timely synthesized research evidence about COVID-19 to inform decision makers as the pandemic continues, with a focus on strategic policy and program questions.
- Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre:
- University Health Network: Click here to access a set of resources developed by UHN featuring tips to ensure inclusion and equity for marginalized community members during COVID-19.
- University of Toronto: University of Toronto Engineering researchers have developed Redeploy, a tool that optimizes and automates the matching of available staff to jobs that need to be filled throughout the hospital.