The OHA developed this webpage to keep members apprised of recent Ministry of Health updates regarding the novel coronavirus, and to highlight relevant resources for members. It is important to note that the health system is well-prepared to respond to this type of issue. As the situation unfolds, officials from the Ministry and public health, including the Chief Medical Officer of Health, remain in close contact with health care providers and partners across the system, including the OHA. This includes daily stakehholder calls to share information, guidance, and address any challenges, should they arise.
Daily Update as of July 23, 2021
Ministry of Health | Health System Emergency Management Branch Situation Report #478 COVID-19 (Please note that these reports are no longer issued on weekends)
***CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE FULL VERSION OF TODAY'S SITUATION REPORT.***
|Area / Région||Case count / Nombre de cas||Change from yesterday / Changement par rapport à hier||Deaths / Décès||Change from yesterday / Changement par rapport à hier|
|Canada*||1 425 097||+ 382||26 526||+ 14|
|Ontario**||548 986||+ 192||9 308||+ 1|
* Numbers from PHAC current as of 7 p.m. yesterday / Chiffres de l’ASPC à jour à 19h hier.
** Ontario current as of 3 p.m. yesterday / Chiffres de l’Ontario à jour à 15h hier.
|Vaccination*||Vaccination||Yesterday / Hier|
|Cumulative vaccine doses administered||Nombre total de doses de vaccin administrées||18 724 400|
|Confirmed Cases||Cas confirmés||Data Source / Source des données||Yesterday / Hier||7-day % change /|
% de changement sur 7 jours
|Cumulative Cases||Nombre cumulatif de cas||CCM / SPGCC||548 986||0%|
|Health Sector Worker Cases||Nombre de cas chez les travailleurs du secteur de la santé||CCM / SPGCC||23 663||0%|
|Cumulative Resolved||Nombre cumulatif de cas résolus||CCM / SPGCC||538 271||0%|
|Cumulative Deaths||Nombre cumulatif de décès||CCM / SPGCC||9 308||0%|
|Long-Term Care Home Residents||Nombre de décès de résidents des CSLD || Ontario.ca: Status of COVID-19 cases in LTCH ||||Ontario.ca: État des cas de COVID-19 en FSLD|
|Retirement Home Residents||Nombre de décès de résidents des maisons de retraite || RHRA Dashboard ||||Tableau de bord de l'ORMR|
|Health Sector Worker||Nombre de décès de travailleurs du secteur de la santé||CCM / SPGCC || 18||0%|
|Acute Care||Soins aigus||Data Source / Source des données||Yesterday / Hier||7-day % change /|
% de changement sur 7 jours
|Confirmed patients hospitalized||Cas confirmés hospitalisés||dBCS / RqL||137 ||-14%|
|Cumulative hospitalized health sector workers||Nombre cumulatif de travailleurs du secteur de la santé hospitalisés||CCM / SPGCC||460 ||0%|
|Cumulative health sector workers in ICU||Nombre cumulatifs de travailleurs du secteur de la santé aux soins intensifs||CCM / SPGCC|| 97 ||0%|
| || || || ||7-day average / |
Moyenne de 7 jours
|Current vented patients (includes COVID+)||Patients actuellement branchés à un respirateur (incluent les COVID+)||CCSO / SOSMPC||562 || 535 |
|CRCI Vented||COVID+ sur respirateur||CCSO / SOSMPC||84 || 91 |
Related OHA Communications
Please note that some of the bulletins below are members only. Please sign in to OHA.com/news to view all bulletins.
- July 12, 2021 - COVID-19 Update Bulletin
- July 5, 2021 - Temporary Summer Expansion of Physician Locum Programs
- June 24, 2021 - Services, Resources Guidance Bulletin
- June 23, 2021 - COVID-19 Update Bulletin (members only)
- June 18, 2021 - COVID-19 Update Bulletin (members only)
- June 17, 2021 - Services, Resources, Guidance Bulletin
- June 10, 2021 - Services, Resources, Guidance Bulletin
- June 7, 2021 - COVID-19 Update Bulletin
- June 3, 2021 - Services, Resources, Guidance Bulletin
- June 1, 2021 - COVID-19 Update Bulletin
- May 28, 2021 - COVID-19 Update Bulletin
- May 25, 2021 - COVID-19 Update Bulletin
- May 21, 2021 - COVID-19 Update Bulletin
- May 20, 2021 - Services, Resources, Guidance Bulletin
- May 19, 2021 - Letter to Government on Province's Re-opening Plan and other updates
- May 18, 2021 - COVID-19 Update Bulletin
- May 13, 2021 - Services, Resources, Guidance Bulletin (members-only)
- May 11, 2021 - COVID-19 Update Bulletin
- May 7, 2021 - COVID-19 Update Bulletin
- May 6, 2021 - Services, Resources, Guidance Bulletin
- May 4, 2021 - COVID-19 Update Bulletin
- April 30, 2021 - COVID-19 Update Bulletin
- April 29, 2021 - COVID-19 Update Bulletin
- April 29, 2021 - Services, Resources, Guidance Bulletin
- April 28, 2021 - Ontario Government Announces Emergency Order on Transfers to LTC and Retirement Homes
- April 27, 2021 - Ontario Health Staff Volunteer Re-Deployment Registry (members only)
- April 24, 2021 - Government Announces Further Measures to Expand Hospital Capacity and HHR
- April 23, 2021 - Ministry of Health Releases Amended Emergency Order Regarding OH and HCCSS Staff Deployment
- April 23, 2021 - COVID-19 Update Bulletin
- April 22, 2021 - New Health Care Worker Redeployment Orders in Response to Rising COVID-19 Patients (members only)
- April 21, 2021 - MOH Releases Updated Directive #2
- April 19, 2021 - COVID-19 Update Bulletin
- April 16, 2021 - COVID-19 Update Bulletin (members only)
- April 15, 2021 - RNAO Activating VIANurse to Augment Nursing in Critical Care
- April 15, 2021 - Services, Resources, Guidance Bulletin
- April 12, 2021 - Revised: OHA Guidance on Hospital Patient Transfers
- April 11, 2021 - OHA Guidance on Hospital Patient Transfers
- April 10, 2021 - OHA Developing Guidance on Hospital Patient Transfers
- April 9, 2021 - OHA Bulletin: Ontario Releases Two New Emergency Orders
- April 9, 2021 - COVID-19 Update Bulletin
- April 8, 2021 - Servcies, Resources, Guidance Bulletin
- April 8, 2021 - Update from Today’s Member Call with Ontario Health (members only)
- April 7, 2021 - COVID-19 Update Bulletin
- April 1, 2021 - Services, Resources, Guidance Bulletin
To access earlier bulletins from January 2020 - March 2021, please click here.
OHA members can direct their questions to Melissa Prokopy, Director, Legal, Policy and Professional Issues, at email@example.com or 416-205-1565.
- Patient Transfer Resources (April 12, 2021) - To download documents listed below in Word format, click here.
- Resources from the Joint Centre for Bioethics at the University of Toronto are available here. Those pertaining to COVID-19 are listed below.
- Canadian Medical Association: Framework for Ethical Decision Making During the Coronavirus Pandemic
- New England Journal of Medicine:
Emanuel, E. J., Persad, G., Upshur, R., Thome, B., Parker, M., Glickman, A., Zhang, C., Boyle, C., Smith, M., & Phillips, J. P. (2020). Fair Allocation of Scarce Medical Resources in the Time of Covid-19. The New England Journal of Medicine, 382(21), 2049–2055. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMsb2005114
- This article outlines ethical values and guiding principles, which determine six specific recommendations for allocating medical resources in the Covid-19 pandemic: maximize benefits; prioritize health workers; do not allocate on a first-come, first-served basis; be responsive to evidence; recognize research participation; and apply the same principles to all Covid-19 and non–Covid-19 patients.
- The Hastings Center (2020): Responding to Covid-19 as a Regional Public Health Challenge: Preliminary Guidelines for Regional Collaboration Involving Hospitals
- General Ministry of Health Resources
- Case Definition: Case Definition for Novel Coronavirus (May 21, 2021)
- Acute care guidance (other MOH guidance documents are available here)
- Guidance for Acute Care (June 15, 2020)
- Directive 5 for public hospitals - Updated as of April 7, 2021
- The CMOH Directive #2 (April 20, 2021): Updated from May 26, 2020. Requires all non-emergent and non-urgent surgeries and procedures to cease, with the exception of surgeries and procedures performed in pediatric specialty hospitals. Emergent and urgent surgeries will not be impacted. View Directive 2 FAQs.
- Resources on Hospital Finances
- Other guidance:
- Long-Term Care:
- Ontario Health Guidance (other resources are posted on the OH website, along with Health System Response Table Updates):
- Public Health Ontario (PHO) resources:
- Public Health Ontario (PHO) has updated their site related to COVID-19 testing including an updated list of accepted swab types, including specimen collection and handling. Additional resources from PHO are available to assist hospitals in the triage, screening, patient management, and testing in acute care settings
- Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) resources:
- Latest travel advice
- Information for health professionals (e.g., details on transmission, detection and reporting, infection prevention and control, and treatment)
- Health Canada has released an FAQ document regarding Subsection 56(1) Class Exemption for Patients, Practitioners and Pharmacists Prescribing and Providing Controlled Substances in Canada during the Coronavirus Pandemic.
- Public Resources:
- View PHO's Public Resources
- Patient and Visitor signage is available on the Ministry's website (scroll to the bottom of the page)
- Resources for Ontarians Experiencing Mental Health and Addictions Issues During the Pandemic
- COVID-19 Health Literacy Project: This initiative was started by a first-year medical student at Harvard Medical School, and quickly expanded into a national coalition of over 150 medical students representing over 35 institutions and 34 languages. In an effort to help patients from vulnerable communities know when and how to seek care, they created and translated accessible COVID-19 information into different languages. All their materials are reviewed and vetted by faculty members at Harvard Medical School, and are created in collaboration with Harvard Health Publishing.
System Partner/Hospital Resources & Other Resources
- Canadian Institute for Health Information:
- CorHealth: COVID-19 Resource Centre
- Covid Care Learning: Educational resources have been developed and posted on www.covidcarelearning.ca to assist organizations that are continuing to plan for redeployment to the meet the needs for COVID-19 care. This website was created with the support of the Ontario healthcare and education communities to provide key resources to prepare healthcare professionals who will be treating Ontarians impacted by COVID-19. These resources are intended for anyone in the hospital or long-term care sector, including those involved in the care of COVID-19 and other critically ill patients or residents. Read a previous OHA bulletin for instructions on loggin in.
- COVID-19 Visit Risk tool: This 10-minute quiz was developed by researchers at the National Institute of Ageing, a public policy research centre at Ryerson University in Toronto, and walks you through exactly how risky your planned interactions with friends or loved ones are when it comes to COVID-19.
- Innovative Medicines Canada COVID-19 Resource Centre
- The website will feature the many contributions from members who are testing for COVID-19, discovering new treatments and vaccines, and will also contain a section on drug shortages. It will be updated daily with new and relevant information.
- Intubation Boxes: Klick is offering free intubation boxes, delivered at no cost to hospitals. Click here for more information.
- Long-Term Care COVID-19 Commission: The dedicated resource site features a list of briefings and meetings (with transcripts) and updates to date.
- Michael Garron Hospital: Checklist (sample) for supporting LTC homes (prevention workstreams)
- Ontario College of Family Physicians: Resource Page
- Ontario College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario
- Physician Resource page
- FAQ: Updated regularly to provide advice/guidance on key issues CPSO is hearing about and where joint messaging could be helpful.
- Ontario Community Support Association: New Community Support Program Provides Help for Vulnerable Seniors in Isolation
- Ontario Medical Association:
- Research- related resources: Two recently launched websites allow users to submit their COVID-19 questions to be examined through a network of researchers.
- Rapid Evidence Access Link (REAL), created by an interdisciplinary team of health systems students and professionals, scans credible evidence sources and produces concise notes on a variety of COVID-19 queries. It focuses on operational and tactical questions from individual health service providers and clinicians.
- The COVID-19 Evidence Synthesis Network is comprised of organizations in Ontario's evidence synthesis and knowledge translation community. It provides high-quality, relevant, and timely synthesized research evidence about COVID-19 to inform decision makers as the pandemic continues, with a focus on strategic policy and program questions.
- Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre:
- University Health Network: Click here to access a set of resources developed by UHN featuring tips to ensure inclusion and equity for marginalized community members during COVID-19.
- University of Toronto: University of Toronto Engineering researchers have developed Redeploy, a tool that optimizes and automates the matching of available staff to jobs that need to be filled throughout the hospital.