The OHA developed this webpage to keep members apprised of recent Ministry of Health updates regarding the novel coronavirus, and to highlight relevant resources for members. It is important to note that the health system is well-prepared to respond to this type of issue. As the situation unfolds, officials from the Ministry and public health, including the Chief Medical Officer of Health, remain in close contact with health care providers and partners across the system, including the OHA. This includes daily stakehholder calls to share information, guidance, and address any challenges, should they arise.
Daily Update as of October 25, 2021
Ministry of Health | Health System Emergency Management Branch Situation Report #540 COVID-19 (Please note that these reports are no longer issued on weekends)
***CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE FULL VERSION OF TODAY'S SITUATION REPORT.***
|Vaccination*||Vaccination||Yesterday / Hier|
|Cumulative vaccine doses administered||Nombre total de doses de vaccin administrées||22 394 887|
|Confirmed Cases||Cas confirmés||Data Source / Source des données||Yesterday / Hier||7-day % change /|
% de changement sur 7 jours
|Cumulative Cases||Nombre cumulatif de cas||CCM / SPGCC||597 841||0%|
|Health Sector Worker Cases||Nombre de cas chez les travailleurs du secteur de la santé||CCM / SPGCC||24 638||0%|
|Cumulative Resolved||Nombre cumulatif de cas résolus||CCM / SPGCC||584 780||1%|
|Cumulative Deaths||Nombre cumulatif de décès||CCM / SPGCC||9 846||0%|
|Long-Term Care Home Residents||Nombre de décès de résidents des CSLD || Ontario.ca: Status of COVID-19 cases in LTCH ||||Ontario.ca: État des cas de COVID-19 en FSLD|
|Retirement Home Residents||Nombre de décès de résidents des maisons de retraite || RHRA Dashboard ||||Tableau de bord de l'ORMR|
|Health Sector Worker||Nombre de décès de travailleurs du secteur de la santé||CCM / SPGCC || 18||0%|
|Acute Care||Soins aigus||Data Source / Source des données||Yesterday / Hier||7-day % change /|
% de changement sur 7 jours
|Confirmed patients hospitalized||Cas confirmés hospitalisés||dBCS / RqL||269 ||86%|
|Cumulative hospitalized health sector workers||Nombre cumulatif de travailleurs du secteur de la santé hospitalisés||CCM / SPGCC||480 ||0%|
|Cumulative health sector workers in ICU||Nombre cumulatifs de travailleurs du secteur de la santé aux soins intensifs||CCM / SPGCC|| 99 ||0%|
| || || || ||7-day average / |
Moyenne de 7 jours
|Current vented patients (includes COVID+)||Patients actuellement branchés à un respirateur (incluent les COVID+)||CCSO / SOSMPC||582 || 616 |
|CRCI Vented||COVID+ sur respirateur||CCSO / SOSMPC||95 || 103 |
The COVID-19 Screening Tools for Businesses and Organizations have been updated to address technical issues and alignment across screening tools/
- Tool for Screening Workers can be accessed online or downloaded (PDF) from the Ontario website.
- Tool for Screening Patrons can be accessed online or downloaded (PDF) from the Ontario website.
The COVID-19 Signage Questions for Businesses and Organizations (Signage Instructions) has been updated to align with content updates to the worker and patron screening tools. The instructions can be downloaded (PDF) from the Ministry of Health COVID-19 Guidance for the Health Sector website.
For more information about cases and deaths in Ontario over the course of this pandemic, and for breakdowns by region, age, and sex, please view the Government of Ontario website or the Ontario COVID-19 Data Tool by Public Health Ontario.
Please visit the ministry website for sector-specific guidance and directives, memorandums and other resources.
Related OHA Communications
Please note that some of the bulletins below are members only. Please sign in to OHA.com/news to view all bulletins.
- October 22, 2021 - New OHA Survey on the HHR Workforce (members only)
- October 21, 2021 - Services, Resources, Guidance Bulletin
- October 20, 2021 - OHA Response to Premier Ford's Letter on Health Care Worker Vaccination
- October 18, 2021 - Premier’s Letter on Healthcare Worker Vaccination – OHA Key Messages (members only)
- October 15, 2021 - Member Survey on Vaccination Policies and Survey on Response to Premier's Letter (members only)
- October 14, 2021 - Services, Resources, Guidance Bulletin
- October 12, 2021 - Member Vaccination Policies: Survey and Follow-up (members only)
- October 12, 2021 - Ministry of Health Q&A on COVID-19 Incremental Expenses (members only)
- October 7, 2021 - Services, Resources Guidance Bulletin
- October 4, 2021 - Ontario Opens New Session of Legislature with Throne Speech
- October 1, 2021 - Government Announces Mandatory Vaccination for Long-Term Care Staff
- September 30, 2021 - Services, Resources, Guidance Bulletin
- September 24, 2021 - Webinar with the Ministry of Health on COVID-19 Incremental Expenses
- September 23, 2021 - Reimbursement of Q1 and Q2 COVID-19 Expenses
- September 23, 2021 - Services, Resources, Guidance Bulletin
- September 16, 2021 - Services, Resources, Guidance Bulletin
- September 13, 2021 - Member Survey: Mandatory Vaccination Policies (members only)
- September 10, 2021 - Member Call with Ontario Health on Fall Preparedness (members only)
- September 9, 2021 - Services, Resources, Guidance Bulletin
- September 2, 2021 - Services, Resources, Guidance Bulletin
- September 1, 2021 - OHA Federal Advocacy Resources for Members
- August 26, 2021 - Services, Resources, Guidance Bulletin
- August 23, 2021 - Directive #6: Resources and Supports for Hospital Members
- August 23, 2021 - Patient Ombudsman Releases Special Report and other COVID-19 Updates
- August 19, 2021 - Resource Guide for Directive #6
- August 18, 2021 - CMOH Issues Directive #6
- August 17, 2021 - New Measures on Healthcare Worker Vaccination, Member Call and other updates
- August 12, 2021 - Services, Resources, Guidance Bulletin (members only)
- August 9, 2021 - Hospital Vaccination Status Data Reporting and Upcoming OHA Member Call (members only)
- August 5, 2021 - Services, Resources, Guidance Bulletin
To access earlier bulletins from January 2020 - July 2021, please click here.
OHA members can direct their questions to Melissa Prokopy, Director, Legal, Policy and Professional Issues, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 416-205-1565.
- Resources from the Joint Centre for Bioethics at the University of Toronto are available here.
- Canadian Medical Association: Framework for Ethical Decision Making During the Coronavirus Pandemic
- New England Journal of Medicine:
Emanuel, E. J., Persad, G., Upshur, R., Thome, B., Parker, M., Glickman, A., Zhang, C., Boyle, C., Smith, M., & Phillips, J. P. (2020). Fair Allocation of Scarce Medical Resources in the Time of Covid-19. The New England Journal of Medicine, 382(21), 2049–2055. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMsb2005114
- This article outlines ethical values and guiding principles, which determine six specific recommendations for allocating medical resources in the Covid-19 pandemic: maximize benefits; prioritize health workers; do not allocate on a first-come, first-served basis; be responsive to evidence; recognize research participation; and apply the same principles to all Covid-19 and non–Covid-19 patients.
- The Hastings Center (2020): Responding to Covid-19 as a Regional Public Health Challenge: Preliminary Guidelines for Regional Collaboration Involving Hospitals
- World Health Organization: Ethics and COVID-19
- General Ministry of Health Resources
- Acute care guidance (other MOH guidance documents are available here)
- Guidance for Acute Care (June 15, 2020)
- Directive 5 for public hospitals - Updated as of April 7, 2021
- The CMOH Directive #2 (April 20, 2021): Updated from May 26, 2020. Requires all non-emergent and non-urgent surgeries and procedures to cease, with the exception of surgeries and procedures performed in pediatric specialty hospitals. Emergent and urgent surgeries will not be impacted. View Directive 2 FAQs.
- Resources on Hospital Finances
- Other guidance:
- Long-Term Care:
- Ontario Health Guidance: Resources are posted on the OH website
- Public Health Ontario (PHO) resources:
- Public Health Ontario (PHO) has updated their site related to COVID-19 testing including an updated list of accepted swab types, including specimen collection and handling. Additional resources from PHO are available to assist hospitals in the triage, screening, patient management, and testing in acute care settings
- Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) resources:
- Latest travel advice
- Information for health professionals (e.g., details on transmission, detection and reporting, infection prevention and control, and treatment)
- Health Canada has released an FAQ document regarding Subsection 56(1) Class Exemption for Patients, Practitioners and Pharmacists Prescribing and Providing Controlled Substances in Canada during the Coronavirus Pandemic.
- Public Resources:
- View PHO's Public Resources
- Patient and Visitor signage is available on the Ministry's website (scroll to the bottom of the page)
- Resources for Ontarians Experiencing Mental Health and Addictions Issues During the Pandemic
- COVID-19 Health Literacy Project: This initiative was started by a first-year medical student at Harvard Medical School, and quickly expanded into a national coalition of over 150 medical students representing over 35 institutions and 34 languages. In an effort to help patients from vulnerable communities know when and how to seek care, they created and translated accessible COVID-19 information into different languages. All their materials are reviewed and vetted by faculty members at Harvard Medical School, and are created in collaboration with Harvard Health Publishing.
System Partner/Hospital Resources & Other Resources
- Canadian Institute for Health Information:
- CorHealth: COVID-19 Resource Centre
- Covid Care Learning: Educational resources have been developed and posted on www.covidcarelearning.ca to assist organizations that are continuing to plan for redeployment to the meet the needs for COVID-19 care. This website was created with the support of the Ontario healthcare and education communities to provide key resources to prepare healthcare professionals who will be treating Ontarians impacted by COVID-19. These resources are intended for anyone in the hospital or long-term care sector, including those involved in the care of COVID-19 and other critically ill patients or residents. Read a previous OHA bulletin for instructions on loggin in.
- COVID-19 Visit Risk tool: This 10-minute quiz was developed by researchers at the National Institute of Ageing, a public policy research centre at Ryerson University in Toronto, and walks you through exactly how risky your planned interactions with friends or loved ones are when it comes to COVID-19.
- Innovative Medicines Canada COVID-19 Resource Centre
- The website will feature the many contributions from members who are testing for COVID-19, discovering new treatments and vaccines, and will also contain a section on drug shortages. It will be updated daily with new and relevant information.
- Intubation Boxes: Klick is offering free intubation boxes, delivered at no cost to hospitals. Click here for more information.
- Long-Term Care COVID-19 Commission: The dedicated resource site features a list of briefings and meetings (with transcripts) and updates to date.
- Michael Garron Hospital: Checklist (sample) for supporting LTC homes (prevention workstreams)
- Ontario College of Family Physicians: Resource Page
- Ontario College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario
- Physician Resource page
- FAQ: Updated regularly to provide advice/guidance on key issues CPSO is hearing about and where joint messaging could be helpful.
- Ontario Community Support Association: New Community Support Program Provides Help for Vulnerable Seniors in Isolation
- Ontario Medical Association:
- Research- related resources: Two recently launched websites allow users to submit their COVID-19 questions to be examined through a network of researchers.
- Rapid Evidence Access Link (REAL), created by an interdisciplinary team of health systems students and professionals, scans credible evidence sources and produces concise notes on a variety of COVID-19 queries. It focuses on operational and tactical questions from individual health service providers and clinicians.
- The COVID-19 Evidence Synthesis Network is comprised of organizations in Ontario's evidence synthesis and knowledge translation community. It provides high-quality, relevant, and timely synthesized research evidence about COVID-19 to inform decision makers as the pandemic continues, with a focus on strategic policy and program questions.
- Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre:
- University Health Network: Click here to access a set of resources developed by UHN featuring tips to ensure inclusion and equity for marginalized community members during COVID-19.
- University of Toronto: University of Toronto Engineering researchers have developed Redeploy, a tool that optimizes and automates the matching of available staff to jobs that need to be filled throughout the hospital.