The resources and initiatives listed here do not represent the full breadth of initiatives underway at Ontario hospitals and are drawn from information shared by members directly or online. As such, we invite hospital members to share their feedback and suggestions for additional content by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Conferences, Summits and Events
The second iteration of The Black Experiences in Healthcare Symposium took place in January 2020 and was hosted by Sinai Health System in collaboration with the Black Health Alliance, Health Commons Solutions Lab and support from the Toronto Central LHIN and Mississauga Halton LHIN.
Women's College Hospital Foundation hosted a virtual Black Healthcare Summit in October 2020 to explore the key issues contributing to poor health outcomes for Black people in Canada, and particularly, Black women. View a full recording of the Summit.
Policies and Strategies
In June 2022, North York General Hospital launched its first Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) Framework which includes the creation of an Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Office and a Manager, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion.
Oak Valley Health released an extension of its Equity Diversity and Inclusion Belonging Plan from 2022-2024.
- In February 2021, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH) launched the Dismantling Anti-Black Racism strategy, which includes 22 actions to decrease anti-Black racism at CAMH by 2022.
In February 2021, guided by the Anti-Racism, Anti-Black Racism Advisory Group, the University Health Network launched an Anti-Racism & Anti-Black Racism policy.
In June 2020, London Health Sciences Centre established a formal partnership with Atlosha Family Healing Services to co-design an Indigenous Healing Strategy. Through this partnership, an Indigenous Healing Services Advisor is available for Indigenous patients and families and is located within an Indigenous Healing Space.
SickKids' Indigenous Health Strategy commits to culturally appropriate services for Indigenous children and families. View the initiatives to date.
Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre has made a commitment to dismantling racism and has established a President's Anti-Racism Taskforce (PART). Read about PART's work and related events.
In spring 2020, Women's College Hospital (WCH) committed to dismantling the structural anti-Black racism and oppression faced by WCH staff, physicians, and patients throughout the organization and beyond. An update on their progress was shared in January 2023.
Working Groups and Action Plans
- In September 2020, Michael Garron Hospital established a group (comprised of staff, physicians, and Foundation members) dedicated to dismantling anti-Black and anti-Indigenous racism and other forms of discrimination, known as the Inclusion Alliance.
- In 2020, Joseph Brant Hospital formed a Diversity and Inclusion Action Table (DIAT). The Annual Report 2020-2021 shares that the hospital has also implemented required learning on the history of racism and human rights for all team members and leaders. The hospital is also pursuing an external review of diversity and inclusion, which will inform a multi-year action plan.
- Holland Bloorview committed to transformative anti-Black racism in 2020. The CEO's February 2022 Black History Month message provides an update on this work.
- West Park Healthcare Centre has embarked on new initiatives since 2019 to eradicate racism and promote diversity. Learn more about the various initiatives and events.
Programs and Partnerships
Click here to return to the main, anti-racism resource page.